Sunday, January 11, 2015

1/11/15. The post where I have a lazy weekend.

1/11/15: no ice again on Saturday, but it was still miserably cold.  I spent most of the day indoors, doing some chores and trying to stay warm.  My acting partner came over for a rehearsal, but I didn't get out of the house until later in the afternoon.  One of our friends was throwing a surprise birthday party for another friend, so I went over to help with a few last minute preparations before the party.  And I learned some things you should never do when attending a party, especially a large party thrown by someone you don't really know.  And even more especially, a surprise party requiring perfect timing.  For instance, while it is certainly appropriate to bring a gift for the host, don't show up right at the beginning of the party with a gift that requires immediate work by the host, who is usually already quite busy.  And it is also thoughtful to offer to bring a food item, but don't bring something that has to be prepared in the host's kitchen.  If you find yourself walking into a stranger's kitchen with your own mixer and a bag full of ingredients, you should probably reconsider your strategy.  And finally, when there is an entire house set up for mingling, setting up shop right in the middle of the host's work space is not the best option.  I feel certain I have done all of these things at some point in my life, but I will try not to do them again.  Fortunately, the host was much more polite and gracious than I would have been, so there were no social disasters.  And it was a lovely party that thrilled the guest of honor.

I intended to write a post last night, but I had a technological malfunction on my iPad that put it, and my computer, out of commission for the evening.  My patient, long-suffering husband got it resolved and I was back in business this morning.  It's a good thing he's brilliant that way, or I would have a trail of non-functioning smart phones and tablets behind me all the time.  And I'd have to write my blogs on carbon paper and send them out by mail.  

Today was even more quiet.  Church, brunch with friends, a little football and napping, then a movie.  In an interesting coincidence, we decided to forego watching the Golden Globe awards to watch a movie instead, which I really enjoyed, and afterward we learned it had won the award for best drama.  I felt like a cinematic genius.  It was still cold and rainy, so I was glad to spend most of the day inside.  I spent much of the weekend adjusting my stimulator, to no avail.  Between my foot and my "generator" hip, I wasn't up to much physical activity.  The weather is supposed to improve over the next few days, and not a moment too soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment