Wednesday, January 7, 2015

1/7/15. The post where I appreciate my patient, long-suffering husband.

1/7/15: I woke up feeling exhausted this morning and my health monitor confirmed it.  Lots of REM sleep, very little deep sleep.  I think the improv class wound up my brain, and coming home after class and trying to go straight to sleep was probably not a good idea.  Fortunately, today was not too mentally taxing, because I don't think I would have been up to it.  A big cold front came in today, which made me nervous, but my foot felt better than I expected.  

I had a late afternoon manicure/pedicure appointment, thank goodness.  With the long holiday break, I had gone longer than usual between appointments, and between cold dry weather, packing and unpacking suitcases multiple times, and generally paying little attention to them, my nails looked like I had tunneled my way out of prison.  But my manicurist is a genius and within an hour and a half, she had me looking human again.  ("Russian Navy" from the OPI Russian Collection, which came out in 2007.  I doubt a Russian collection would be as popular a marketing idea today. But it's an awesome color.)

After my appointment, I was off to help my patient, long-suffering husband put the final touches on a dinner he was cooking for a church function.  He has spent the last two days working on shrimp creole and chicken and sausage gumbo for 50 people.  In addition to doing his normal job.  With virtually no help from me.  Because he is brilliant.  The best part for me?  I got to swoop in at the last minute, do a few minor kitchen chores (like tearing lettuce leaves for salad - I'm talking minor), and then bask in the glory.  Everyone raved about the meal, which was delicious.  Anytime 5 year-olds and 75 year-olds both come back for second helpings, you know you've cooked a crowd-pleaser.  And then we went straight to choir practice, which also went well, despite the fact that nearly everyone was bloated and groaning from the fantastic meal.  My patient, long-suffering husband had an A+ kind of day.  I think he's earned a pass tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment