Wednesday, January 21, 2015

1/21/15. The post where I buzz all day.

1/21/15: I spoke too soon yesterday.  After I got into bed and stopped thinking about everything else, I realized my foot had not improved as much as I thought it had, and I slept terribly.  A front came in this morning, bringing more cold temperatures and rain.  It would have been a nice day to stay in bed, but I put on my big girl pants and went to work.

And when I say "big girl pants", I'm not kidding.  I put on a pair of pants today that I haven't worn in some time.  I've lost enough weight to be able to wear some clothes that haven't fit in awhile, but not enough weight for them to be comfortable. Or attractive.  But I'm just stubborn enough to wear them anyway.  At the very least, it was a good incentive to stay on my diet.  And speaking of diets, my patient, long-suffering husband is rocking his liquid diet and already seeing some good results.  I'm very proud of him.  I would have already had at least one unseemly public outburst by now if it were me, but his willpower is mighty. 

My foot continued to feel worse through the morning, so as a last-ditch effort, I turned the stimulator to the craziest pattern and the highest amplitude.  I've tried it before and had to immediately turn it back down to keep from losing my cool.  But today, it felt like there was a better chance of me losing my cool if I turned it back down.  So I stuck with it.  When it is turned up to this level, positional changes are much more obvious. Every time I stand up, sit down, lie down, shift in my seat, or generally make any movement from my waist down, I get a quick jolt.  (I believe with dog collars, it is called a "mild correction.")  As a result, I went through much of the day like this:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-ZbKfCkxg. Or maybe it was more like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_6MAkLJ79LE.  Coincidentally, I have a checkup appointment in the morning with my pain management doctor.  We'll see if he has any other tricks up his sleeve, but I'm not counting on it.  If he suggests attaching a red light bulb to my nose and letting the neighborhood kids go after me with tweezers, I'll know I'm in trouble.  


No comments:

Post a Comment