Friday, October 17, 2014

10/17/14. The post where I get into vacation mode.

10/17/14: yesterday was a travel day, but a great travel day.  We took our time getting to our destination, stopping at wineries and interesting-looking rest areas along the way.  When we got to our final destination, we wandered around town and then had a fantastic dinner.  We spent the rest of the evening in a quaint little bar, chatting up the locals.  My kind of day.  It often takes me several days to get into vacation mode, but this time I switched gears almost instantly.  It didn't even bother me when I got the call from the dealership confirming what I already expected: that my car had breathed its last breath.  I asked them to leave it on the lot over the weekend and told them I'd be back in touch Monday.

I woke up surprisingly early this morning and went on a long walk.  Our hotel had a very large garden area and grounds with a walking trail, and I was the first one there this morning.  It was a cool, crisp morning and I walked for several miles, with nothing but crowing roosters, barking dogs, and the occasional braying donkey to break the silence.  (Never saw the donkeys, and for all I know it may have been a donkey soundtrack. If such a thing exists.)  it was the most serene I have felt in a long time.  My leg and foot have been vibrating more than usual the last day and a half, probably because of the car ride, but I'll take it.  I'm not sure I could have done this trip two months ago.  

After a leisurely brunch, we set out on a scenic drive to the next destination on our brief journey, where we had rented a house, and waited for a third couple to join us.  It was an awesome day - beautiful weather, good food and drinks, and no TVs to remind us of the real world.  We played cards, chatted, and watched the stars.  Tomorrow should be more of the same.  Our friends are going on a long bike ride in the morning.  I wish we could join them, but neither of us are cleared for take off yet.  Instead, I'm planning to take a long walk through town.  It won't make up for all the eating I've done over the last two days, but at least it's a start.  

No comments:

Post a Comment