Tuesday, October 7, 2014

10/7/14. The post where I talk about my diet.

10/7/14: happened to wake up before my alarm this morning.  And by "happened", I mean the world's loudest garbage truck came down the street earlier than usual and startled me out of a deep sleep.  (Thanks a lot, efficient city employees.)  In retrospect, I'm glad it did, because it meant that I started my walk a little earlier than usual, which meant that I ran into a neighbor and had a pleasant conversation while we walked.  So pleasant that I walked a half mile longer than I meant to do and still made it to work on time.  

I had another pleasant surprise this morning.  A retired co-worker I haven't seen in some time showed up at the office this morning for a function and we were able to visit for awhile.  It was nice to talk about old times and catch up.  It was also a reminder that I am one of the few old-timers left in my office.  Not quite sure when that happened.  All I know is those kids better get off my lawn.  

You may recall me talking about the pact I made with my friend where neither of us would buy a pair of shoes until we each lost 10 pounds.  So far, I am not doing a great job of keeping up my end of the bargain.  I keep losing the same three pounds, which means I'm not really losing them, I guess.  But I'm really trying.  I am being careful about what I eat, and now that I can get some exercise again, I feel like I'm back on track.  And I have even more incentive now, because guess what?  My friend has already lost her ten pounds and started on the next ten.  Boy, do I feel like a creep.  I would gladly release her from her obligation, since she did her part and besides, it's fall boot season.  But so far, she's sticking with me.  I choose my friends well.  Wish I could say the same for her.  She's in luck, though.  The only thing that motivates me more than new shoes is guilt.  

I went two inches shorter on the heels today and I got to sit during most of my rehearsal tonight, but I'm still a bit uncomfortable at the end of the night.  Nothing too serious, though.  I think I am falling into a pattern of turning up the stimulator for awhile each night.  The medical company rep told me I would need to do a lot of experimenting to figure out what works for me.  Tomorrow will be an even bigger experiment.  I will spend much of my work day driving.  I am speaking to a group of colleagues who are meeting at a retreat several hours away from my home.  I would normally consider this one of the perks of my job.  A drive through the country on a beautiful fall day, away from computers and phones and desks.  I hope I still feel that way after tomorrow.  


No comments:

Post a Comment