Sunday, October 19, 2014

10/19/14. The post where I unintentionally get something accomplished.

10/19/14:  took one last long walk this morning before we packed up for the drive home.  I saw this on my walk: 
  
Seems like a good sign, don't you think?

We had a very nice trip home, stopping for a late lunch at a Biergarten and doing a little wine-tasting along the way.  Not bad for a travel day.  I've been gradually turning up my stimulator over the weekend to stay comfortable and at lunch today I had one of those "positional" moments where the particular chair and my sitting position caused the vibrations to get really intense, so I had to turn it back down quite a bit.  

On the car ride home, my thoughts began to turn back to my car situation.  I decided that tomorrow I am going to go to the dealership, empty out my car, and either let them make me a really good trade-in offer or sell the car to one of those companies that buys non-functional cars and tows them away for you.  I contacted one such company over the weekend and got a surprisingly good offer.  After all, my car has extremely low mileage and I've kept it in pretty good condition.  It's a great car, as long as you don't want to drive it anywhere.  Now I have a little ammunition for my trip to the dealership.

We got back home in the early evening and I expected to have a leisurely night.  All I had to do was get out my car title so I would have it with me in the morning.  I went over to my neatly organized car file...and no title.  Then I looked at the stack of paperwork in my in box to be filed and got a little sick.  It's amazing how little chores like that can get out of control, even for an organizational freak like me.  And I do as much as possible online these days, which made the pile even more disconcerting.  Rather than make a huge mess rifling through the pile to find my title, I decided to go ahead and tackle the project, and it wasn't as bad as I expected.  Less than two hours later, I was completely caught up on filing.  And still no title.

I wracked my brain trying to think of where the title could be, imagining all kinds of bizarre and unnerving scenarios, including stealthy ninja identity thieves who are familiar with my filing system.  Then it hit me.  I got married and changed my name after I bought the car, which meant I needed to change my name on the title.  So, at some point in the not-so-distant past, I gathered up my title and a copy of my marriage certificate so I could take them down to the county and update the title.  And where is the most logical place to put them, where I would be sure to have them available when I had the time and the inclination to spend an afternoon waiting in a government office?  In my car, of course.  Which is now at a dealership more than 50 miles away.  

At least, that is my recollection.  In any event, I am going to presume that the title is exactly where I have now convinced myself I recall putting it.  If not, I suspect there are other options available.  If, as my patient, long-suffering husband suggested tonight, I am in fact more organized than 90% of the population, then I am probably not the first person ever to have lost a car title.  Wish me luck tomorrow - I have already guaranteed it is going to be an interesting week.  But at least my files are up to date.


No comments:

Post a Comment