Friday, October 24, 2014

10/24/14. The post where I make it through security.

10/24/14:  four hours of sleep is not enough.  Just sayin'.  Hoping I packed appropriately.  If not, at least I have a credit card.  My patient, long-suffering husband took me to work and we had the usual tearful pre-travel goodbye.  Only this time it was in full view of a co-worker with whom I'm barely acquainted.  So, the day was off to a good start.

I spent the morning frantically getting caught up at work.  I looked a little more at my conference schedule and it looks like my days are going to be pretty full, so I figured I would not have a lot of time to keep with work.  I set out for the airport two and a half hours before my flight so I would be prepared for any issues I might encounter in security. I turned off my stimulator just before walking into the terminal, because I knew things might get confusing quickly and I figured it would be safer to have it turned off, in case I got swept through the metal detector before I had a chance to protest. 

There was no one in line at check-in, so I got my boarding pass and checked my bag in no time flat.  There was also no one in line at the TSA "known traveler" security check, so I went straight through to the carry-on x-ray machines and metal detectors.  So far, so good.  I put my carry-ons on the conveyor belt, walked up to the metal detector and announced to the TSA agent that I could not go through the metal detector, proudly holding up my "get out of jail free" card.  "Ohhhhh..." he said.  " I wish you had told me that before your bags went through."  Uh-oh.  This meant I had to go through the new fancy techno dance machine. (Fortunately, I had just learned at my doctor's informational meeting a few days ago that I could go through that machine without the stimulant being ripped out of my hip.)  Which was in another, longer line. And now my purse and carry-on were safely inside the secure area without me.

The TSA employees were extremely helpful and got me into the other line without me having to wait again or take off my shoes, I did the obligatory dance moves in the machine, a TSA agent waved a Star Trek-style instrument on my shoes, and I retrieved my carry-ons.  The whole process still took significantly less time than it took for everyone waiting in the "normal" line.  That day trip a few months ago to get a known traveler number seems even more worth it now.  The whole process from the front door of the terminal to the secure area of the airport took about 15 minutes.

And guess how long it takes for my foot to start hurting when I turn off the stimulator?  About 15 minutes.  I limped to the airport's wine bar, turned the stimulator back on, and enjoyed a leisurely glass of wine and some pasta while I waited for my flight.  It was actually an interesting experiment, but not one I'm eager to repeat.  By the time I got to my gate, I felt much better, but I was not back to "normal".

The flight was uneventful and a little cold.  (Yes, patient, long-suffering husband, to answer your question - I do need to pack all those scarves.)  I am reading a book for my book club called (curse word warning) "Good Manners for Nice People Who Sometimes Say #%$" by Amy Alkon and I happened to be in the chapter on airplane etiquette, so I tried to follow her advice, making sure I did not unintentionally do anything rude.  While the title may be off-putting to some, I think it is a very helpful modern guide to basic decency in our technological age and while I don't agree with all of her recommendations, it is a good read and I have learned from it.  Apparently, everyone around me had also read the book, because I was surrounded by quiet, thoughtful people.  It was almost too good to be true.

I met up with colleagues at the hotel and had a nice, casual evening watching baseball and catching up.  I'd better get to bed early, because class starts early in the morning.  My foot is still a little upset over the brief period without the stimulator, but it is calming down.  I shouldn't have to turn it off again for five more days.  Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment