Monday, August 11, 2014

8/11/14. The post where we cobble together a plan and count our blessings.

8/11/14: didn't sleep enough last night, but the sleep I got was pretty good.  I got up at about a 5 and took my walk before work, then waited to hear from my patient, long-suffering husband.  His news?  The surgeon recommended a discectomy on two herniated discs to try to relieve pressure from the nerve.  Not a sure bet by any means, but the best option we've heard so far.  The surgeon offered to do it as soon as our health insurance company will authorize it, potentially as early as next week.  He and his dad returned home after the appointment and he was able to put in a little time at work in the afternoon.  In the meantime, his local surgeon was able to schedule an earlier appointment, so he'll get a second opinion (which technically is the first opinion, I guess, since it is the first one he scheduled) on Wednesday afternoon.  Either way, it looks like there is a possibility of a fairly quick resolution.  

We sat down (or more accurately, lay down) with a calendar to work out the details.  Presuming things go according to plan, or at least nearly according to plan, I can take care of him after his procedure and he should be recovered just in time to take care of me after my procedure.  Sheesh.  I hope this is not a preview of the rest of our lives.  At least we have each other.  And a good sense of humor.

Which reminds me of the news we heard this evening about the passing of Robin Williams.  (Spoiler alert: serious discussion ahead.)  It is almost incomprehensible for most of us to think that a person could bring joy to so many other people, yet be unable to find inner joy or peace.  As is the case with many people suffering from depression, it appears he had a support network of family and friends who loved him and doubtless tried to help him, but sometimes it isn't enough.  

Depression can be a secondary effect of chronic pain, which is one of the reasons doctors recommend that people with CRPS have the "safety plan" I talked about in a post earlier this year, and I have tried to be very alert to any potential signs in either myself or my patient, long-suffering husband (and more recently, my mom).  There are plenty of words I would use to describe our family's reactions to our various medical issues over the last year.  Stunned.  Confused.  Frustrated.  Overwhelmed.  Angry.  Determined.  Depressed is not a word that comes to mind, and for that I am grateful.  We're going to get through these issues and get back to our normal, crazy, beautiful lives.  

I'm up to a 7.5 tonight and my foot and ankle are swollen for the first time in awhile, probably because of the showers that came through unexpectedly this evening.   Looks like things are going to get complicated over the next few weeks.  Which means the time will go quickly, at least.  If the plan holds, it looks like my patient, long-suffering husband and I will be recovered from our procedures about the same time Mom finishes her last chemo treatment.  We apologize in advance for the noise, but it's going to be quite a celebration.  

No comments:

Post a Comment