Saturday, August 9, 2014

8/9/14. The post where my cooking skills are better than my memory.

8/9/14: my foot was really irritated in the night, as confirmed by my health monitor sleep results, which indicated I tossed and turned 45 times in the night.  A new record - high fives, y'all!  I felt okay when I got up this morning, though, and got down to business.

Since it was my patient, long-suffering husband's birthday, I told him I would cook him whatever he wanted to eat today.  The morning started with blueberry muffins, which is not really unusual.  They are his favorite, so I make them fairly regularly on Saturdays.  I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon doing chores around the house.  He took a long birthday nap and slept right through lunch, so I was off the hook for that meal.  

He woke up from his nap declaring he would like spaghetti for dinner and cherry pie for dessert.  He must have had some kind of strange dream.  Sounds like the kind of meal I would order at Luby's when I was a kid.  (Except that I would also order mashed potatoes and a roll, to complete the carb extravaganza.)  He had to spend some time at church this afternoon taking care of preparations for services tomorrow, so I took the opportunity to go to the grocery store.  

While I was there, I looked for a birthday card.  I found two cards I liked - one that was sweet and sentimental and one that was funny and appropriate to our current medical situation.  I couldn't decide, so I bought them both.  I had a very pleasant conversation with the checker and took my groceries home to start cooking.  

When I got home, I decided I'd better wrap his gift before he got home. After wrapping it, I went back to the kitchen to choose one of the cards.  I dug through all the grocery bags.  No cards!  Suddenly I recalled that while I was talking to the friendly checker, he put the cards on the counter so they wouldn't get soiled by the groceries.  I must have left them there.  Well, great.  I thought about going back to get them.  It was over 100 degrees outside, not to mention the fact that I still had spaghetti sauce and a pie to make.  I decided he'd rather have a cherry pie than a birthday card.

Frustrated with myself, I turned my attention to cooking.  I made the pie crust and started on the sauce  while the crust chilled in the fridge.   Suddenly, my purse began to ring and I realized I hadn't gotten out my phone when I got home.  I reached in to get it and found...the birthday cards!  While I was relieved that I hadn't left them at the store after all, I was disappointed in myself for not remembering that I had picked them up and put them in my purse.  I guess if I had to forget something, that was the better choice.  Boy am I glad I didn't go all the way back to the store, which would have been really embarrassing and potentially could have ended with me being detained by some overzealous security guard if someone saw the cards in my purse.  Which is much funnier on TV than in real life.  

My cooking adventures were much more successful than my card purchase debacle.  While it wasn't the same as going out to a fancy restaurant with family, everything turned out well.  And I let him eat dinner in his pajamas while sitting in his comfy chair watching TV.  I don't know too many fancy restaurants where you can do that.

I spent most of the day at a 5, but have inched up toward 7 this evening.  I'm hoping a better night of sleep tonight will help.  And in case any of you are wondering, I went with the funny card.  I'll save the sweet, sentimental card for next year, when we are both in perfect health.  Presuming I can keep up with it until then.  A girl can dream, can't she?


No comments:

Post a Comment