Thursday, August 21, 2014

8/21/14. The post where we recuperate.

8/21/14:  my patient, long-suffering husband was not feeling quite as chipper this morning, but still better than pre-surgery.  I was also not feeling quite as chipper this morning. And by "not feeling quite as chipper", I mean I was miserable.  My foot was at a 9 and the pain was crawling up my lower leg.  I couldn't bear to have anything touching my foot - not the sheets or a shoe or even the floor.  I quickly figured out that I wouldn't be going to work.  It was a long morning.  

After a few hours of awkwardly holding my foot off the side of the bed, I felt a little better and ventured downstairs to check on my patient, long-suffering husband.  Some nurse I turned out to be.  Fortunately, he hadn't met with any harm in my absence and we had a pretty quiet day of recuperation.  

We had one exciting event that broke up the afternoon.  Four police cars suddenly careened past our front window and down the street, screeching to a stop a few houses down.  I quickly made my way outside, because if there's anything four law enforcement officers with weapons need, it's a short girl wearing no shoes limping out to help them.  I got out just in time to see them disappear behind a house with their guns drawn.  Uh, oh!  

Within a few minutes, my patient, long-suffering husband was also outside, because if there's anything four law enforcement officers with weapons need more than a limping short girl wearing no shoes, it's a guy fresh out of surgery in pajamas and slippers.  We were a regular Dynamic Duo.  Coincidentally, two other neighbors happened to be driving down the street within a few minutes and stopped because the police cars were blocking the road.  One of them got out of her car just as the officers came back around the corner.  Turns out it was a false alarm.  They told her (and she told us) that the owner of the house heard some noises and thought someone was breaking into her house.  It's good to know that they responded so quickly.  But not so good to know that they didn't stop to question the two weirdos standing in front of our house.  I certainly would have questioned us if I had seen us.  

The rest of the day was pretty calm in comparison.  My patient, long-suffering husband made it the entire day without a nap and was completely exhausted by bedtime.  My foot felt a little better by the end of the evening - back down in the 7.5-8 range.  If I can get a decent amount of sleep tonight, I will go back to work tomorrow.  I think he is well enough to make it through the day alone.  As long as there aren't any more false alarms on our street.


No comments:

Post a Comment