Friday, August 1, 2014

8/1/14. The post where I realize my niece became an adult while I wasn't watching.

8/1/14: it was a rough night, but not because of my foot.  My patient, long-suffering husband is having some serious back issues and woke up in the middle of the night in severe pain.  We seem to be in a race to see who can fall apart first.  And it's a race neither of us wants to win.

I did another short walk before work and then had a quiet day in the office.  I left a little early to go home and meet my niece, who came in town to visit for the weekend.  She is home from college and decided to drive down to see us and some other friends and family who live nearby.  I see her relatively often for family gatherings, but this is the first time we've gotten to spend a significant amount of time alone together in a long time.  It was a wonderful evening.

I'm sure this is a sign that I am getting old, but it seems like just yesterday I was holding her for the first time.  Then suddenly she was a precocious pre-schooler, singing her "program" for anyone who would listen.  I blinked and she was in junior high, starring in her school musicals.  A few minutes later I was listening to her valedictorian speech and graduation solo.  This evening we are sitting in my living room drinking wine while she gives me details about her adventures in college and her recent symposium in Italy.  Time flies.

My foot felt pretty bad tonight, but I didn't have time for that.  I wanted to concentrate all my effort on remembering our time together tonight, because I know it will pass way too quickly.  The next thing I know, I will be visiting her in Europe to hear her latest performance.  This is one of the reasons I need to get the stimulator implanted and get on with my life.  My patient, long-suffering husband and I have seven nieces and nephews between us and they range in age from 19 years to five months.  That means a lot of musicals, baseball games, and school competitions to attend.  I'd better get some rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment