Friday, August 8, 2014

8/8/14. The post where I talk about the light at the end of the tunnel.

8/8/14: I thought I would have time to post during my trip, but I was mistaken.  On Wednesday, I spent most of the day in a work-related meeting with people who live in an entirely different world than I do.  They spent much of the time talking about fancy, important people they knew (which was actually relevant to the meeting, by the way) while I sat quietly, trying not to look dumbfounded.  I have never seen "Downton Abbey", but I felt a little like one of the servants who had been invited unexpectedly to attend a party given by one of the nobles.  I think I managed to get through the meeting without doing anything embarrassing, so I'd call it a success.  

On Thursday, my niece and I had a "movie day" with Mom.  It served the dual purpose of exposing my college-aged niece to some older movies we knew she would enjoy and keeping Mom occupied on the most annoying day of her chemotherapy regimen, the only full day and night she is attached to the pump.  We had a really fun time together and the day went very quickly.  More family members came over in the evening after work and we fixed a simple dinner.  

Today, we took Mom in to have the pump removed, which is the best day of her chemotherapy regimen.  Afterward, we had a celebratory lunch and then I was back on the road.  Mom is in the home stretch, with eight treatments down and only four to go, so while she is feeling pretty puny right now, she can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  

I felt pretty good the whole time I was there.  I didn't have any really bad episodes and I stayed in the 3-6 range for the entire trip. I was even able to get in a couple of morning walks.  That was probably my last trip before my implant surgery (and for several weeks after the surgery as well).  Even though I have had a pretty good week, I am very anxious to get the stimulator going and get this whole thing behind me (at least for awhile) because I can also see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My patient, long-suffering husband hasn't been as fortunate.  His back pain is getting worse despite increasing doses of medication and physical therapy.   He is seeing a surgeon next week to determine if there are any other options that might provide faster relief.  There is no light at the end of his tunnel yet, but he's plowing full-speed ahead in the dark, hoping he'll find the light just around the next bend.  

Tomorrow is his birthday.  We had intended to go out with family to celebrate, but he decided the best birthday gift to himself would be a restful day and evening at home after too many long days in a row of working in pain.  (As my special birthday gift to him, I may turn off his cell phone and hide it.  So don't be surprised if you call or text birthday greetings and don't get an immediate response.)  

On our recent vacation, we drove through a lot of tunnels, some of which were so long we thought they might never end.  But without fail, they always ended and we were back out in the beautiful world.  We're hoping the trend continues...





No comments:

Post a Comment