Wednesday, February 25, 2015

2/25/15. The post where I am pooped.

2/25/15: yesterday was every bit as tiring as I expected it to be.  No ice on the roads, but it was still cold and I had to be in and out quite a bit, so I bundled up again. I also changed my stimulator program again, this time to a particularly obnoxious pattern, and turned it up to warp factor 7 for maximum distraction.

At lunchtime, I had my voice recording project.  Having never done anything like it before, I wasn't sure what to expect, so I thought I'd better do some vocal exercises in the car on the way there.  It sounded something like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ro_LMuIs3Ek

It was a very interesting experience.  The studio was recording voices to be used as an algorithm for voice recognition software.  They described it as "the next generation of Siri."  Since I can't get the current generation of Siri to understand a word I say, I am hoping to benefit personally from their work.  I sat in a recording booth for about 30 minutes and read a script containing hundreds of voice commands.  Like, "Turn on the security system."  "Turn off the bedroom lights." "What time is it?"  "Pour me a glass of wine."  Well, okay, maybe not that last one, but you get the point.

The studio employee doing the recording complimented me on my work afterward.  My first grade teacher would be so proud - I can read simple sentences like a pro.  My "payment" for participating in the project is a free voiceover demo recording at the studio.  What will I do with a voiceover demo? I have no idea. Am I going to make one? You bet!  

I spent the afternoon (and part of the evening) in my legislative work group meeting, where I spent most of the time trying not to say anything that would get me fired. (Now that I think about it, that voiceover demo may come in handy after all. I may need the work.) I went straight from the meeting to my acting class, which was great, but which also ran late.  All my activities made for a long day and not enough sleep.  Today was also a busy day, but at least I spent most of it in the office, so I didn't have to move around as much.  The weather also got a little warmer today, and between that and my obnoxious stimulator program, my foot was a lot more manageable.  I hope it lasts, because I will have to change the program to something a little less frenetic very soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment