Friday, February 6, 2015

2/6/15. The post where the sun comes out.

2/6/15:  yesterday was a very busy (and productive) work day.  My patient, long-suffering husband and I had plans to spend the evening with our BFFs to celebrate her birthday.  We spent the evening with them, but it was not exactly a celebration. We got the sad news yesterday morning that their dog had passed away.  While he was in his twilight years, he had been in good health and it was very unexpected.  It was a rough day for our friends, who in addition to dealing with their own grief, had to deliver the news to their college- and post college-aged children, who live in other states.  Somewhat fittingly, the day was colder and more cloudy than had been forecast.  

My patient, long-suffering husband had a little surprise for me - a new hairstyle.  How different can a man's hairstyle be, you ask?  Pretty different, as it turns out.  His transformation to hipster, which has been a long time in the making, is officially complete.  (I think this may also have been payback for my December hair color shenanigans.)  I can see that I am going to have to step up my game fashion-wise if I am going to keep up with him.

And speaking of hair, I had a fun conversation with my mom today.  Since her chemo began last summer, her hair has been a continuing topic of conversation.  She has always had fantastic hair, and we have been curious to see what effect the chemo would have.  Before she started treatments, her hair looked something like this:


Well, okay, a much more modern version of this.  But you get the idea.  She informed me today that her hair now looks more like this:


 I suspect she is exaggerating just a bit.

The sun finally peeked out this afternoon and the temperature is warming up.  It looks like it will be a gorgeous weekend.  I hope the sun comes out figuratively as well.  In the last few days, in addition to our friends' dog, four church members and a retired colleague of mine have passed away, and two friends have had emergency surgery.  For the next few days, I am only accepting happy news.  I hope my foot heard that loud and clear.



No comments:

Post a Comment