Sunday, February 8, 2015

2/8/15. The post where I try to make sense of things.

2/8/15: woke up at 4:30 this morning and it was raining.  Unbelievable.  Although maybe it explains why my foot hurt so much yesterday.  Maybe.  (Apparently, a weather forecast of 0% chance of rain doesn't mean it won't rain.  Maybe they should have gone with 1%, just to be safe.)  I went back to sleep and when I woke up later, it had stopped raining, but it was still overcast.  I wanted to stay in bed all day, but that's a habit I can't start.  I also wanted to skip exercising, but that is another habit I can't start.  Since it was warmer today, I took a walk instead of riding the trainer.  I felt better immediately afterward, but it didn't last.  The sun came out later in the morning, too late to do me any good.

After church, it was a quiet afternoon and then some good friends came over this evening so we could catch up.  (Fortunately, they are the kind of friends who don't mind eating leftover cheese and crackers while I sat on the couch with my foot elevated.  Everyone should have friends like that.)  Today was a rough day, but I have it easy comparatively.  I belong to a Facebook group of CRPS patients, which may or may not be a good thing.  It is a very supportive group, but I see a lot of examples of folks who are really suffering.  Sometimes I'm not sure if I should feel relieved or guilty.

I know I've said this before, but the most frustrating thing about this is not being able to make sense of it.  There is no logic, no predictability.  And I'm all about logic and predictability.  There are a few things the medical community does understand about CRPS and I try to follow the rules.  Like continuing to do as many normal activities as possible, especially where my foot is concerned, even when it is the last thing I want to do.  I am also doing a lot of research on my own.  For instance, today I ran across this article on healthy eating for people with nerve pain.  http://www.loseweightbyeating.com/nerve-pain-relief-with-food/  Was it written by a doctor?  No.  Has it been scientifically vetted?  No.  Are all of the food items spelled correctly?  No.  But it seems to make sense based on what I already know about nutrition and healthy eating.  Frankly, I imagine it is probably good advice regardless of whether you have nerve pain.  And I already follow most of the recommendations in the article.  Maybe that is one of the reasons I am faring better than a lot of other patients.  But there I go again trying to make sense of things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment