Thursday, May 22, 2014

5/22/14. The post where I resolve to get more sleep.

5/22/14:  so much for my caffeine theory.  My alarm woke me up in the middle of a dream and I was completely disoriented.  A check of my health monitor explained why.  I was in the middle of REM sleep when my alarm went off.  (REM is the sleep stage where your brain processes information and stores memories.  Not to be confused with the rock band of the same name.)  My sleep score was even worse than last night - 77%.  My parents are going to ground me when they see my report card.

Even with its optimistic definition of "light sleep", my health monitor still only measured a little over six hours sleep each night for the last two nights.  I'm no expert, but I suspect I should be getting more than that if I want to beat this thing.  While I can't control how well I sleep at night, I can at least control when I get to bed, and I intend to try.  I resolved today to try to spend at least seven hours in bed each night.  And now I have an objective way to measure it.

The good news was that I started the day at a 5 and stayed there much of the day.  Unfortunately, it didn't last, and when it ramped up, it wasn't messing around.  Tonight my foot swelled up again, turned red and purple, and is up to a 7.5.  I have it elevated right now for the first time in several days.  I don't think I get to count this toward my seven hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment