Saturday, May 24, 2014

5/24/14. The post where I am glad it's a three day weekend.

5/24/14: what do you get when you entertain guests until after 2am and then wake up at 7am? A 65% sleep score, that's what you get.  Boy, am I glad it's a three day weekend with very little on the calendar.  I started the morning at about a 6.5 and never got below that.  It was another rainy day, and we have at least some chance of rain every day for the next week.  Great for our plants and area lakes, not so great for my foot.

We did some chores around the house this morning and then ran errands this afternoon.  While getting ready, I had a strange and unpleasant episode.  My foot turned red, but not in the usual places.  It was more confined to one long, thin strip coming down from my big toe. The color was very intense and it felt like it was on fire.  I don't mean a burning sensation.  I mean a "stop, drop and roll" kind of fire.  At least, that's what I would imagine it would feel like to be on fire.  While I have burned myself on stoves, ovens, car seats, curling irons, and just about anything else you could imagine, I have never actually been on fire.  And for that I feel very, very fortunate.  I put some cream on the red strip and elevated my foot for about five minutes, and it began to feel better, but it sort of did me in for the rest of the day.  I was still able to get out and do errands, but I've spent most of the rest of the evening lounging on the couch and shaking my fist menacingly at my foot. 

I read an article about CRPS yesterday by a doctor who used the phrase "consistently moderate activity."  The theme was very similar to the pep talks my PT would give me during my appointments.  Don't overdo it on days you feel good and don't underdo it on days you feel bad - either one can aggravate it and decrease your chances of getting it into remission.  While you might not believe it from reading my posts, I really am trying to do better at following this advice.  But clearly I have more work to do.  

One final note - I failed to mention yesterday that I had a manicure.  My bad.  I know some of you can't stand the suspense of not knowing what color my nails are at any given time.  I am now wearing "I Think in Pink" from OPI's "The Sophisticates" collection.  There, now you can sleep tonight. 



No comments:

Post a Comment