Friday, May 9, 2014

5/9/14. The post where I wear ugly shoes.

5/9/14: improved a little last night before going to bed (maybe it was the cream?) and slept pretty well.  Woke up back in the 5.5-6 range even though it is still wet and humid, which I took as a good sign.  

For casual Friday, I decided to wear the lone pair of prescription sandals I bought at the end of last summer, which haven't been back out of the box in almost eight months.  I picked out an outfit to match and then got out the shoes.  Yuck.  I had forgotten how ugly they are.  Since I didn't want to change clothes again, I wore them anyway. At least they will be comfortable and maybe they'll save me a couple of days of increased pain.

I wore them all day at work and guess what I found out?  They aren't that comfortable anymore.  While I'm sure they won't aggravate my foot for days like the wedge heels did, there is a strap that goes right across the top of my foot, which was not a problem prior to the CRPS, but which was now at least mildly irritating all day.  So, they are ugly and uncomfortable. A winning combination.  I wonder if bare feet are appropriate for casual Friday?  Ironically, I wrote my employer's dress policy, so I know the answer is "NO."  That will teach me to be more flexible in future policy writing.

Today is the last day of a work week that would probably seem normal to most people, but is pretty rare for me. No work travel or off campus meetings.  No doctor, PT, or other personal appointments.  I just came to the office for five days in a row and worked at my desk.  While it is somewhat of a relief and I was able to catch up on some nagging paperwork, I feel a little unsettled, like I've forgotten or missed something.  I go back into whirling dervish mode next week, starting with a three day out of town conference.

For now, though, I will enjoy the weekend.  Dinner tonight with good friends, a day trip to nearby wine country tomorrow, and a Mother's Day lunch with my patient, long-suffering husband's parents on Sunday.  I'm looking forward to it.  Even if I have to wear the ugly sandals.

No comments:

Post a Comment